Cova Baily in Howth is a dormer bungalow with sweeping views across Dublin Bay
Cova, a detached dormer property in Baily, enjoys panoramic views of Dublin Bay and the city skyline. A thousand years ago, the now peaceful maritime site was awash with long boats after the Battle of Clontarf.. In 1014, the Norse Vikings regrouped on the promontory, where the Baily lighthouse now stands, after being defeated by High King of Ireland, Brian Boru.
The elevated site looks down on the lighthouse, making uninterrupted sea views the real selling point of the property. Today, all the action is in the form of pleasure yachts, fishing boats and passenger ferries. The fog signal from the lighthouse was discontinued in 1995, and Baily was the last lighthouse in Ireland to be automated.
The late Dr Fergus Cahill, who was awarded an honorary fellowship to the Royal College of Surgeons for his contribution to anaesthetics in dentistry, purchased the property in 1968. Cahill converted and incorporated the old stables and garage into the house, bringing its footprint to 303sq m.
The property was then re-designed to maximize sea views, and feature full length glass windows to the front. For windy days, a winter garden sits hidden from exposure to the elements, as does a pergola covered sunken garden.
One of the nicest rooms in the house is upstairs, and features overhead beams, a balcony and super sea views. Currently used as a living area, it can also be utilized as a fourth bedroom.
In need of some updating, the property features a vast kitchen, three bedrooms and three reception rooms on the ground floor.
Set on a site of 0.75 acres of mature landscaped gardens, the property may also attract developers as the grounds are substantial. Ganly Walters is asking €1.695 million.
As appeared on Thursday 11th June 2015